When pressed with the question of what defines an American, I am conflicted with how to approach this trying inquisition. After participating in our class discussion on Tuesday, I noticed two different types of definitions of Americans emerging through the course of our deliberation: idealized definitions and logical definitions. After reflecting on the discussion, I think that my definition of an American has changed from an idealized definition to a more rational definition, better based upon reality. Before class, I defined an American as an American citizen who works to uphold the principles of American liberty and has been granted opportunity and freedom of choice by an emancipating government. However, when brainstorming characteristics of Americans in class, I noticed that many of the characteristics voiced (such as united, educated, and opportunity) would be invalid if used to delineate an American at face value. There are many definitions voiced by Americans today reflecting sentiment and patriotism that do not accurately define what an American is. Are all Americans educated, united, and open to equal opportunity? Of course not. In Langston Hughes’ poem “Let America Be America Again,” he specifically addresses this issue by relating himself to “the poor white, fooled and pushed apart” and to “the immigrant clutching the hope I seek.” I think that Americans are incredibly diverse, not only in the sense of race and background, but also in terms of integrity and drive. Americans consist of the good and the bad, the educated and uneducated, the patriots and renegades, the immigrants and born citizens, the dreamers and the cynics, etc. However, it is the free will to create oneself and choose one’s life path under government and American citizenship that are the true characteristics that define an American. Nothing else is essential. Therefore, my new definition of an American is a citizen of America who has been granted the privilege of free will under government.
It is great to see how you wrestled with the complexities of this question.
ReplyDelete