Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Journal #2: American Literature: Native American Voice??


George A. Crofutt, artist. "American Progress," or "Manifest Destiny," ca. 1873.; http://www.americaslibrary.gov/aa/polk/aa_polk_wilmot_3_e.html


For as long as I can remember, I have always had a fascination and growing respect for Native Americans and their culture. As a child, Disney’s Pocahontas captured my heart and imagination, and I wanted nothing less than to be like the free-spirited Pocahontas depicted in the cartoon. I even lived out this fantasy in my youth by joining a YMCA program called Indian Princesses, in which “tribes” of fathers and daughters go on camping trips and participate in activities such as horseback riding, archery, canoeing, and pow-wows. My appreciation grew even more last year in an Understanding Religion: Communities class here at TCU where we studied Native American religious beliefs and traditions. After reading the introduction “American Literature: 1750-1830” in our textbook, I noticed that the Native American voice was all but excluded (with the exception of Jane Johnston Schoolcraft) from the canon of American literature during that time period. I honestly can’t say that I am surprised as there were language barriers and hostility between Native Americans and the colonists, however, what most affected me was that the Native American representation in American literature, specifically in the “Indian plays” mentioned in the textbook, was from the point of view of American colonists, which, in essence, encouraged discrimination and further undercut the humanity of the Native American people.
         The mention of the popularity of a 19th century play, The Indian Princess, recounting the timeless Pocahontas story, particularly caught my attention. How was Pocahontas portrayed and what message did it send to American readers/viewers? After a bit of research, I discovered that this particular play was an operatic melodrama that confirmed Native American stereotypes. This is best illustrated at the end of the play when “after the music, the Soldiers take charge of the Indians [and] Pocahontas flies to the arms of Rolfe” (Hitchcock 388). This portrayal of Native Americans and of Pocahontas’ history further alienates them from inclusion as true Americans and confirmed the justification of the suppression of Native Americans to American readers/viewers. The only other literature mentioned regarding Native Americans was the works of American Indian Jane Johnston Schoolcraft, however, the textbook does not mention the impact of her work or if it was commercially successful. I think it is very unfortunate that the accurate portrayal of Native Americans was given less attention and was less successful than the popular “Indian plays.”
         Momaday and Wamsutta James’ works reflect that only within the past hundred years has the Native American voice truly emerged, joining the literary canon and rewriting American history. I think that the Indian plays impacted colonial Americans’ understanding of their history and reinforced the exclusion of minorities from standings as equal Americans. I think that our history would be much more rich and would better reflect the diversity of our nation if reverence had been made for Native American perspective.

1. Hitchcock, Wiley H. “An Early American Melodrama: The Indian Princess of J. N. Barker and John Bray.” Notes, Second Series, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jun., 1955), pp. 375-388.

No comments:

Post a Comment