Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lincoln’s and Davis’ Inaugural Addresses from the Prospective of a Freed African American Slave (Option 2)


My name is Sarah Williams. I am a former African American slave currently living in Pennsylvania. I came to my freedom by escaping from a dreadful cotton plantation in Montgomery, Alabama through means of the Underground Railroad. Since living here in the Union, I have learned to read and write through the kindness of friends and have come to find reading as my most enjoyable pastime. I have recently read Jefferson Davis’ Inaugural Address and President Lincoln’s (may he rest in peace) Second Inaugural Address and feel it necessary to write down my reflections in my personal journal. I cannot but help be astounded at the great ideas expressed in each, though I find Davis’ ideas quite preposterous. One similarity that I find very intriguing, as I am a devout Christian woman myself, is that both leaders speak to God’s will, but in two very different lights. Jefferson Davis so boldly states in his address that “we are doubly justified by the absence of wrong on our part” (1360), and justifies this idea by stating “Sanctified by justice and sustained by a virtuous people, let me reverently invoke the God of our fathers to guide and protect us in our efforts to perpetuate the principles which by HIS blessing they were able to vindicate, establish, and transmit to their prosperity” (1362). I find this statement absolutely appalling, as both a Christian woman and as a former slave. How these white men in the south can believe God to condone such injustice and cruelty to His people is beyond me. Jefferson suggests that God approves of the succession of the South and of their continuance of the use of slavery to reap economic profit. This is a most strange viewpoint to me and one that I will never be able to understand. There is still much anger in my heart, and yet I pray to God to change the hearts of these callus men. I recently read Fredrick Douglass’ Narrative at the suggestion of a friend, and I must say that from my own experience, I heartily agree with his statement that the most Christian slave owners were also the worst.
            President Lincoln also speaks of God and His role in the Great War, and his wise words have most certainly inspired me and have opened my heart to being a better Christian. Lincoln states in his address regarding the religion of the North and South: “Both read the same Bible, and pray to the same God; and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God’s assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men’s faces; but let us judge not that we be not judged” (1375). As I have stated before, the very idea that both members of the Union and Confederacy were praying to the same God in hopes of destroying the other is so astounding to me and though I agree with President Lincoln in wondering how the Confederacy felt no guilt of conscience in asking God to support so un-Christian a cause, I must not judge for God will judge me in return. I hear these words of a wise and noble man such as Lincoln, and I inspire to be such a Christian, but they leave me bitter. How can God expect me not to judge the men who are responsible for so much death, destruction, and cruelty? Who were responsible for so much suffering not only on my part, but also on part of all my beloved brothers and sisters? Lincoln speaks the word of the Lord in his address and it reverberates strong in my heart and the hearts of others, but it is hard to accept for those of us that have experienced their wicked deeds first hand. Yet, Lincoln proclaims that God’s will be done and that we will fight until God’s wrath has thoroughly punished the Confederacy through the destruction of the war. This idea is frightening and, though I hate to say it, encouraging. Is God punishing the Confederacy for their wickedness through this war? If so God hasn’t turned his back on the slaves in the South, as so many of them have proclaimed. I, too, nearly lost my faith until very soon before my escape. Perhaps these words will renew faith in enslaved and former enslaved African Americans who have lost all hope and faith in the Lord. May He bless and keep them.

1 comment: